30 September 2013

Small is good - Piccolo e' bene

Completely fooled by the forecast we went to Noosa expecting no less than 1m waves and founding a lake.

After wasting the usual two hours just to be there boards in hands, we didn't accept our faith and convinced ourselves that at Tea Tree there would have been waves.
Tea Tree was a lake again but there was one single guy out there riding the smallest of a baby wave. We agreed to paddle to the point and, if needed, paddle further around it to check the next bay. We were ready to paddle around the Noosa Heads if needed. But thankfully it was not the case.

I got the first wave so close to the rocks that I gave my board another grate on the bottom and I thanked it again for it to be in epoxy. 
Then I grated my feet just to prove that I can have hard time even in a pool.

Then something of a 40cm size arrived our direction and we rode it. At the point there were just the two of us and a turtle. 
Actually it was a beautiful experience as the sun was filtering through the clouds and the ocean and the sky were still, and silence was around us. 
Every ten minutes a set of something ridable came our way and we accepted the gifts. 

After an hour it became a bit bigger, few others joined us, and then it all went back to almost totally flat.

I'm still high for two reasons: I had the chance to go for any wave I wanted, and I rode more waves then most of my sessions from May to today.
Yes, they were very small but that is not the point. Not for my skills. The point is that I could practise without waiting for ages, and I got enough waves to relax and enjoy the ride and try things out. 

At this point I also really think that the Goofboard is helping me.
My control was effortless, I could walk on the deck easily -no cross step- , I controlled the board from the front (never happened before), in two occasions I first went left and then right. My eyes were not on the board but on the wave around me. I know I kept a decent stance.
Also I paddled a lot and I was strong enough to endure it.

I really enjoyed this session.
I'd love to test myself with a meter wave now. 
Really happy. 




Imbrogliati dalle previsioni ci siamo ritrovati a Noosa col mare completamente piatto invece del metro promesso. 

Ormai la, e con la giornata ormai ben avviata, non abbiamo potuto fare altro che incamminarci lungo il sentiero per Tea Tree sperando nel miracolo.
C'era un unico surfista che cavalcava onde minuscole, ed abbiamo deciso di raggiungerlo sotto la punta del promontorio, mettendo in conto di remare eventualmente anche oltre, verso la baia seguente, ancora piu' esposta, se necessario.

Invece le minuscole onde arrivavano ed ho subito iniziato prendendone una così vicino alle roccie che ho dato un'altra grattugiata alla tavola e anche ai miei piedi. (Tra l'altro questo e' l'ennesimo esempio di soldi risparmiati grazie al materiale con cui e' fatta la tavola, che altrimenti sarebbe stata in serio pericolo. Voi snobbate, appellatevi alla tradizione, che io nel mentre me ne fotto!)

In ogni caso ogni dieci minuti arrivavano alcune onde prendibili e non le abbiamo sprecate. 
Era una bella giornata velata, completamente senza vento, il mare immobile, nessuno a disturbarci, e le tartarughe marine a lavorare nei dintorni.
Dopo un'ora sono pure arrivate onde un pelo piu' grandi e alcuni altri surfisti. Poi e' finito tutto ma noi a quel punto avevamo fatto il nostro.

Sono ancora in stato di eccitazione perche' nonostante le onde fossero molto piccole ho potuto prendere tutte quelle che volevo, e provare e provare e riprovare senza stress. 

Tra l'altro credo che la Goofboard mi stia aiutando sul serio: ho avuto modo di controllare la tavola stando sul muso, e anche di cambiare completamente direzione da sinistra a destra. I miei piedi sembrano piu' capaci, ecco. E se questo e' vero, potrebbero aprirsi nuovi orizzonti.

Sogno gia' il giorno in cui potro' provare queste cose con onde decenti. 

No comments:

Post a Comment