07 October 2013

What a feeling - Troppo bello


Saturday morning my alarm ringed at 5am. 

At 5.30, having packed all I needed the night before, I was driving south. At 6.40 I was hitting the water at Rainbow Bay, Coolangatta. 

No need to say that the locals were already out in good numbers. 
At the beginning the waves were a bit too small and only rideable close to Snapper, where everybody was, competing for position.
But then it built up to a good meter at Snapper and many waves came up halfway to Greenmount were I and few others were waiting.


So the bigger sets were out of my reach, not for my skills I have to say, not today, but for all the things involved in being there at the front to catch them, but the others were for me to catch and I got plenty of them.


Oh! What a great feeling! 

That's the thing: when you can get enough rides to heal your inner self, then you can start thinking what to do next, how to do it, and fill your soul with happiness.



I had the chance to confirm what I first did at Noosa, that's changing direction and controlling the board from the tip. I'm not saying that I nose ride. I'm a foot away from that. But now I can comfortably get there and still send the board up or down the face. 
Greatest feeling was poping up going right ( as always at the points I surf) seeing room to go left ( hence going my forehand - I'm goofy) and going there till it was possible and then going right again for a bit more.



That's just what I needed to learn as going only one direction always send me away from the curl and cut short my rides. I'm soo stocked! 

I couldn't believe my feet! 

I also got in riding the last wave all the way to the beach, instead of draging myself out like a corps. Oh man, I was so high! I still am.



I felt joy. 
It doesn't happen often, does it? Well, it happens a bit more with surfing. You just can't get enough of it.



6.30am - already too late?
Gia' troppa gente alle 6.30?



La sveglia ha suonato sabato mattina alle 5. 



Avendo già tutto pronto dalla sera prima alle 5.30 stavo guidando verso sud. Alle 6.40 sono entrato nell'acqua fresca e cristallina di Rainbow Bay, a Coolangatta.

Era già pieno di locals che si contendevano la posizione migliore più in fondo possibile, vicino alle roccie di Snapper, e le onde erano piccole. 
Ma poi l'universo ha deciso di dar retta alle previsioni degli umani e in una bellissima mattina priva di vento hanno cominciato ad arrivare onde sul metro abbondante. 
Questa volta l'universo ha anche pensato un poco a me e mentre tutti si contendevano i set più grandi, alcune onde passavano quasi invisibili sotto le tavole di quelli davanti per poi gonfiarsi vicino a me e pochi altri.



Ho così potuto prendere un'onda dopo l'altra, saziando la mia smania di cavalcare e dandomi poi la possibilità di ragionare sul da farsi, come e quando. 
Ho ripreso il filo del discorso iniziato a Noosa ed ho provato ancora a controllare la tavola stando quasi sul muso, ed anche cambiare direzione. 
Infatti questa è stata la cosa più gratificante: poter andare a sinistra, dal mio lato buono essendo mancino ( i luoghi che surfo sono quasi esclusivamente destri) , e poi andare a destra, ricavando qualche secondo in più a disposizione. 
Non credevo ai miei piedi!



Sono uscito alle 9 con la folla che aumentava ogni minuto, stanco morto e con un sorriso così! 

Non capisco come sia possibile provare tanta gioia per questo. 
Eppure succede, e poi passi i giorni successivi in perenne stato di soddisfazione. E poi conti i giorni che mancano alla prossima uscita. E non vedi l'ora. 
È come una droga, e ne sono avvelenato. 


No comments:

Post a Comment