28 September 2022

I've been thinking..

 For some time now I have been thinking that the logs I see in the hands of better-than-me-surfers have something to do with the way they catch waves and they built and hold the nose-riding moments. A certain dynamic that does not really happen in my surfing but it's not completely due to my lack of abilities.

And I think so because when I moved from the performer to the SeaPlane, I clearly felt the different needs of the two boards. Surfing mostly small waves I could appreciate the weight of the new board, its inertia, the glide, the stability. While the other one (Brett White model 9.1) needs steep and fast walls to come alive, this one is more in tune with the needs of the water. It's happy to go trimming, to go with the flow. And I felt it immediately and I modified my style, or dynamics.

Truth is the performer has been a sort of known mistake. It's like having a sport car to buy grocery in the city. But it helped me nevertheless. It taught me how to go on those fast walls and how to enjoy them.

The SeaPlane 9.1 by Beau Young instead is a modern noserider, not extreme, and with the single fin configuration it taught me how to be more in tune with the water, how to wait for the moment. I think I reached a good level of understanding and interpretations, in the realm of later in life beginners/recreational surfers, of course.

Now I'm close to definitely unlock the nose riding level. Walking it's not a problem and I know what I need. I do it, but something is missing. What I'm missing is the ability to built the moment in my favor, and also the willingness to use those moments to walk on the board rather than to draw arcs in the water, something that the current board and I love.

And I'm back to where I started.

I believe that if I was to use a proper noserider board, this would push me further in that direction. I've been observing those guys and I think the board has something to do with the dynamic they produce on the water. The pop-up and the set-up and the execution. 

Just like I felt the needs of the other boards, I believe I can feel and adapt to a new one.

And I say so also based on a session in Sardinia were I could test one of those boards. Unfortunately waves were very small, so I have no idea what would that be like on a steep wall, but I could recognize the dynamic at the pop-up, and also the almost absence of need for paddling.

Now the seed of doubt has been definitely planted.

I think I'm going to buy a new surfboard. That's it. That's all I wanted to say, really!   



The board on the left is the offender here!
Click to enlarge


Era da tempo che osservando i surfisti piu' bravi, ho pensato che le loro tavole centrassero con una certa dinamica del pop-up e del nose-riding che non mi e' molto familiare. Questo a prescindere dalle mie capacita'.

Lo dico, e lo penso, per via del fatto che quando son passato dalla performer alla SeaPlane, ho sentito chiaramente la tavola stessa chiedermi di affrontare le solite onde in modo diverso. Surfando generalmente onde medio piccole, la Seaplane mi ha regalato piu' divertimento per via del peso, dell'inerzia, della planata, della stabilita' nel camminarci sopra. Invece di voler esser mandata sempre su e giu', la Seaplane era contenta anche solo di trimmare ed assecondare di piu' la volonta' dell'onda.

In realta' era stato un semi errore comprare la performer (Brett White Model 9.1). Ovviemente era, ed e', come avere una macchina sportiva per fare la spesa a Milano. Eppure l'errore, avendo intorno a me onde che facilmente si incattiviscono, e' stato comunque utile per progredire "in parete", come dicono in Italia.  

Con la Seaplane invece, specie poi in assetto single fin, mi sembra di aver raggiunto una buona percezione della volonta' dell'acqua. Un buon livello di interpretazione direi. Questo sempre nell'ambito dell' "universo dei surfisti ricreativi che hanno una certa eta' e non avevano fatto niente del genere da ragazzi". 

Ora sono vicino a sbloccare il livello "noseriding". 

Camminare non e' piu' un problema. Il problema e' crearmi l'occasione per farlo come san fare gli altri, e poi, quando capita, scegliere di utilizzare quel frangente per farlo, invece di divertirmi a disegnare archi, cosa che amo. Spesso mi sembra una rinuncia.

E torno a bomba.

Ritengo che le tavole piu' classiche e con meno rocker che vedo agli altri consentano una partenza anticipata rispetto a quanto sono abituato, ed ovviamente una predisposizione maggiore al noseriding. E sospetto, forse ingenuamente, che utilizzarle mi possa spingere un poco piu' avanti, come han fatto le altre tavole a modo loro.

Questa quasi convinione deriva anche dal fatto che in Sardegna ho avuto modo di provarne una molto piatta che quasi non necessitava di spinta in partenza. Purtroppo le onde del giorno erano minuscole e non ho potuto capire come si sarebbe comportata su un bel muretto.

Tuttavia la pulce e' nell'orecchio, ha messu su la tenda, preparato la cena, e non ha nessuna intenzione di andare via.   

Temo che un acquisto sia inevitabile! 

No comments:

Post a Comment