20 August 2014

Surf Art

I should have wrote this post before.


I'd like to promote an italian painter who surfs, or an italian surfer who paints.

For me his art is beautiful. I believe he's really gifted, and I think that what he does is above most of the surf art I see around in shops or on the web.
I don't want to be disrespectful to anyone but let me express this thought of mine:

most of the surf art I see it's like coming out of street art. Gifted painters (I refer mostly to painting) with no specific studies that ended up depicting sea scenes. And they do that mostly bringing the self taught graffity/street style to the ocean scenery. 

Vincenzo Ganadu on the other hand, had classic italian art studies in his youth and only later in his life surf, or surfing, came to the equation.
I believe his paintings are just amazing and they give you the feeling of it, rather than a sort of comic illustration.

Again, no offence please. This is just my impression and it means nothing.

Here's a link to his website, and below a video where he paints D'Arcy's surfboards:






Segnalo piacevolmente il video (che vedete sopra) ed il sito di Vincenzo Ganadu, un artista che surfa od un surfista che dipinge.

In Australia si trova cosidetta Surf Art ovunque. E' molto comune trovare quadri e decorazioni e anche oggetti che ritraggono scene di surf.
Cio' che mi colpisce pero' e' come la sensazione che tutto quello che veda sia il risultato di un poco di talento mischiato all'arte di strada dei graffitti o simili, trasportato in contesto marino. Mi sembra spesso di vedere quadri o decorazioni venduti a caro prezzo che non si discostano molto da illustrazioni da fumetto o riviste per ragazzi.
Rimango sempre perplesso.

VG invece ha scoperto il surf dopo aver fatto i suoi studi d'arte, come si fanno per bene da noi. Ed ecco che i suoi quadri, ai miei occhi, si elevano decisamente al di sopra della media, abbandonando quelle illustrazioni naif da funetto e donandoti forti visioni e sensazioni.

Ovviamente queste sono solo opinioni personali.
Vi invito a visitare il suo sito o almeno a dare un'occhiata al video.


No comments:

Post a Comment