27 April 2015

New spots - Posti nuovi

Since I recovered from my health problem I've been trying few more spots, mostly for crowd reason.

Nothing secret or remote, just places less considered by the big crowd.

One is Moffat beach, north from here, one is Currumbin and the other is Kirra.
Coincidentally the first sessions I had in this places have been good, or good enough to make me think of going there again.

Moffat is a strange place, a mini point, and the waves crash on a rock bottom. I don't know much about best tides, size and stuff. Waves pick on different spots and they don't really peal. It's strange and interesting. I'm sure with the right condition can be a lot of fun. Also it's closer to home than most of the other places.

Currumbin is a hell of a place! In a good way. I'm not discovering anything and actually it gets big very easily. It already gave me a very hard/almost scary time. Again, I'm not sure what's about this spot, but it seems like it's underrated. When Snapper is pumping, Cur is huge.
I'm waiting to find the right winter day, when small and clean waves will come and all the beginner will clog Superbank, all the flying guys on shortboard will be south, all the expert will look for and wait for the best conditions, and me and few others will have fun there.

Then there's Kirra. The legend.
How the fuck can I put it in this list?
Well.. every time you go to Superbank, you drive past it. Everyone drive past it. That's the point. Kirra has world class barrels but it happens just once or twice a year. In my range size waves are never as good as the point just down the road. And there are always just few people out. So, it's not worth it, I alway think.
I tried it once, but I was too much of a beginner and I couldn't tell if it was me or the place. I struggled a lot with the current and although I had some interesting rides, I gave up, choosing the safest comfort of the Greenmount crowd.
But I just went back there and I had so much fun. Yesterday conditions were part point, part beach break. And my board loves steep water, and I made a lot of progress since that day. It was just me, some SUP, some short boarders further out near the rocks and beginners near the beach. While everybody was at Superbank. I got a lot of waves and I had so, so much fun.
Sometime I got to ride the board from the tip, with my feet close together, facing forward, sometime I got to attack (pardon me if I use this term but it's the way I perceived it) the wall, pushing up and down. Aahh.. you know it's hard to describe the feeling. But I'm still high!
Overall, in my short and limited experience, I'd say that nothing can beat good Noosa waves. But the excitement of catching all you want, even if it's just average, it's something I rarely experience. And it's goddam good.
Winter is always stingy with waves, and it's approaching fast. But I'm confident that having added a few more options, I could still have some fun. I really need to keep the momentum.

Wild life note: it was Anzac day and a metal bird, loud and fast, flew through the sky, just above the ocean, along the fantastic shore of the Gold Coast. Not exactly wild life, but worth a mention!




Da quando mi sono ripreso ho aggiunto qualche nuova location di posti serfabili nella mia cortissima lista.
Intendiamoci, se sei bravo ci sono 2000km di posti serfabili. Ma io vado per gradi e non passo certo la vita ad esplorare e provare.. ho un lavoro fisso lontano del mare e vita sociale da portare avanti.
I posti di cui parlo non sono certo segreti, anzi, il contrario, ma hanno in comune il fatto che non ci va molta gente.

Uno si chiama Moffat, a nord di qua. E' una specie di mini point, su fondo roccioso. Non sono sicuro delle condizioni con cui lavora meglio e le onde che ho visto sono un po strane. Pero' grandine e c'e' potenziale per divertirsi. Ed ovviamente ci sono solo i locals, che rende il tutto piu' semplice.

Il secondo e' Currumbin, che come Superbank, a cui sta quasi accanto, ha una storia lunga e non e' certo una scoperta.
Ma la grande folla e' attratta dal super point di Coolangatta e Cur rimane un poco più in pace. Un fatto particolare e' che qua le onde arrivano più dirette rispetto a Coolangatta e quindi sono sempre più grandi e il posto mi ha già punito una volta.
Sono certo che con la giusta disposizione della sabbia, ci siano giorni invernali di piccole e fantastiche onde, che non vedo l'ora di provare.

Poi c'e' Kirra. La leggenda.
Un tempo, prima di Superbank, Kirra era Il Posto.
Com'e' possibile che ne parlo solo ora e lo metto in questa lista?
Beh.. Kirra si scatena con tubi da mille e una notte per una o due volta l'anno. A quanto pare l'intervento dell'uomo ha snaturato il posto, e per la maggior parte del tempo e' un beach break non particolarmente attraente. Infatti ci si passa sempre accanto quando ci si reca al super point di Coolangatta. Tutti ci passano accanto e vanno oltre. C'e' sempre poca gente in acqua.
Ci avevo provato tempo fa ma forse era troppo presto per me e avevo anche faticato molto contro la corrente costante.
Ci sono tornato l'altro giorno esasperato dalla folla di Rainbow beach e mi sono divertito molto. Le condizioni erano a meta' tra point e beach break, ed arrivavano cavalloni interessanti. Quando ho beccato il punto giusto, ho fatto delle belle cavalcate. Alcune sul muso coi piedi uniti, altre un po' più aggressivo contro il muro d'acqua,  a seconda delle onde. Bellissino, la goduria aumentata dal fatto che c'erano quattro gatti più' in fondo, o alcuni beginners vicino alla spiaggia, e io ho fatto quello che volevo.

Insomma, finalmente ho aumentato il numero di opzioni disponibili.
Spero che l'inverno non sia spilorcio e mandi comunque qualche ondina divertente. Vorrei mantenere l'inerzia acquisita e portare avanti i miei piccoli progressi.
Sono arrivato ad un punto in cui se posso prendere una bella onda, mi diverto veramente.

Nota sugli animali avvistati: un jet esattamente come quello di TopGun e' passato a bassissima quota seguendo la fantastica linea costiera della Gold Coast. Velocissimo e rumoroso, mi ha ricordato che era un giorno di festa per l'Australia ed ho pensato che si, la festa me la stavo proprio godendo.

No comments:

Post a Comment