19 October 2018

Culture shock

I suffer from culture shock. 
But it doesn't come from overcooked pasta, vegemite, the Australian accent or people barefoot all the time. It's more subtle.

See, I was born in Sardinia, an island where people fear the sea. Literally.
At the beach, when I was a kid, I was used to make sand castles. Or dig holes, or make race tracks for marbles.
Adults used to do bloody nothing. Talking, reading, sleeping under the sun was their summer occupation. They gave us tons of food and then they forbid us from entering the water (usually very cold) for fear of sudden death*. They told us to learn to swim, but they also insisted that the sea was dangerous and it was better not to go swimming, and in general we had to say within reach (of a slap).
They did nothing. They didn't "use" the sea. There were no lifeguards, no one really enjoying the water. The sea was always empty. Literally.
I spent countless hours laying down, lost in my young thoughts, staring up at the sky, down at the sand, looking at the red background of your eyes when they are closed in a bright day, thinking about girls I couldn't reach. I wasn't even bored. It was summer, the big void between school years.

Here in Australia I get a culture shock when I'm surfing waves that are as tall as me or a bit more. 
I approach the Ocean with caution. I consider the conditions, the currents, where is safer for me, what I want to avoid, how's the crowd, what the waves are doing.
Because I'm worried, in general. Deep inside I fear the waves. I was taught to fear them!
But the shock is not about waves, it comes from seeing kids surfing past me on their micro surfboards! I'm there, all exited and worried at the same time, taking care of my position, and these kids are just having fun, often without an adult in sight!
What the hell is this? 
Where are the adults? How come a kid is over here, all alone, in this conditions?
Why kids are not at the beach digging holes in the sand?
How can parents being not freaking out?? Why they are not calling their names from the beach at the top of their voices? 
How can an adult be relaxed with a kid 200m away from the beach?

The other day an adult, a bodyboarder, has drowned in Noosa.
The Ocean IS dangerous.
And yet, while I was surfing there, kids were around me. Surfing those same waves for which my wife told me to be careful. Me? And what about the kids?
I will never get over it!

*please see comment for explanation

Noosa, main beach, 2012: a later in life beginner watches a 10yo kid passing by. Where are your parents kid?
Noosa 2012: un adulto italiano che vuole imparare a surfare si chiede che cazzo ci faccia un bambino da solo in acqua..


Sono cresciuto in Sardegna, terra in cui gli abitanti temono il mare.
In spiaggia da bambino facevo buche.
Si scavava, si facevano castelli, piste, planimetrie, buchi enormi o montagne.
Gli adulti non facevano un cazzo. Sdraiati a prendere il sole, a leggere, a parlare. A darci da mangiare per poi impedirci di entrare in acqua. A dirci che dovevamo imparare a nuotare ma anche che il mare era pericoloso; ed il piu' delle volte era meglio non fare il bagno o comunque rimanere a portata di schiaffi.
Bagnini zero. 
Usufruitori del mare zero.
Andare al mare voleva dire entrare in una dimensione spazio temporale ai confini della realta'.
Tra letture di mondi lontani e fantastici, osservazioni infinite dei granelli di sabbia, del background rosso degli occhi chiusi al sole, del cielo infinito, dei corpi misteriosi di ragazze inavvicinabili.
Non era neanche noia. Era l'estate, la spiaggia: la grande pausa calda, priva di obblighi tra un anno scolastico ed un altro.

L'Australia poi non mi ha dato il famoso shock culturale di cui leggo la gente soffrire.  
Lo shock invece me lo da frequentare il mare, quando capitano giornate con onde piu' alte di me, per le quali valuto le condizioni, la folla, la corrente, come rompono le onde e cosa posso permettermi di fare in sicurezza. Perche' mi e' stato insegnato ad avere paura del mare. 
Ma lo shock, badate bene, non e' dato dal mare: e' dei bambini che parlo!
Quei maledetti bambini, minuscoli, che in quei momenti mi passano accanto sulle loro tavolette in miniatura, da soli. 
Intendo: soli. Ripeto: soli. 
In condizioni che se per sfiga qualcosa va storto questi bambini sono morti. Eppure, mentre io mi preoccupo per me e per loro, i loro genitori non sono in vista. Magari neanche in spiaggia. Non me lo spiego. La mia mente non se ne capacita. Mi chiedo perche' cazzo i bambini non sono in spiaggia a fare buche come facevo io. Perche' son qua? Com'e' possibile? Perche' non c'e' qualcuno preoccupato a riva che urla loro di rientrare per poi strozzarli con le proprie mani? 
Col mare non si scherza. O no? No??
Non finiro' mai di stupirmi di questa cosa.

Avevo iniziato a scrivere questo post prima che a Noosa morisse un ragazzo, domenica scorsa, affogato dopo aver tentato di entrare dalle rocce del point. Eppure, con me in acqua, c'erano bambini sotto i 10 anni (in questo caso lanciati dai propri padri) a surfare quelle stesse onde, e per le quali io mi ero appena sparato 150km, con mia moglie che mi diceva al telefono di stare attento.
Io stare attendo. Ed i bambini?  
Tornate in spiaggia a fare buche, maledetti!



1 comment:

  1. *in Italy there’s this common knowledge that if you go swimming in cold water with your stomach full, you are probably going to die for temperature shock. The so called ‘scientific reason’ is that while digesting more blood flows toward your belly and your body need to stay warm. Which is not possible in cold water. Hence, your body shut down and you drown.
    This believes is widespread across Italy. Nobody doubts it.
    It's a not-negotiable condition for beach goers.

    ReplyDelete