31 March 2014

Saturn surfing

There are many posts in my mind that I should write but I just don't have the time.

One of those left behind is this one.

I almost finished a sci-fi book titled 2312, by Kim Stanley Robinson. Just for the record I have 5 books on my bed side table and every night I decide what to read according to my mood and my tiredness.  

This one has nothing to do with surfing and I bought it because of the description and good reviews on the back cover that somehow reminded me of Isaac Asimov. (btw- I never ever read the synopsi of a book or movie I want to read/watch)

So there's this story of a fascinating future where humans are all over the solar system and obviously there's a kind of mystery that someone have to solve. And this someone is a girl, and this girl goes around looking for answers and in the middle of the book she goes to Saturn and she get invited to surf!

To be precise she goes surfing the inner edge of Saturn's F Ring, which get influenced by the proximity of Prometheus, a very small moon -asteroid- rotating around Saturn.
So Prometheus goes around and pulls material stuff from the inner side of the F Ring. Basically it pull up a wave of ice and rocks.  And this is a fact.
In the novel this wave is described as 10m wide -left to right- and a couple of Km high!

The girl wears a suit with jets to bodysurf the wave. She launch herself timing the passage of Prometheus and then she glides among the ice chunks for hours. She also mention other surfers standing up a board (!!) but she prefers the full control/experience.

Basically she surf the gravitational pull itself! We surf the result of many forces, she surfs the purest form of wave!

Two little lines from the book:
..In effect the F ring was being swirled in the tides created by its two shepherd moons, making for some waves. And where there were waves, there were surfers..

..She could feel Prometheus tugging her along; this must be what a pelican felt like, surfing the air pushed by a water wave. A gravity wave, throwing her through the universe. The howls of the other surfers sounded like wolves..

On K.S.R. 's wikipedia page there's no mention of surfing. But this is the greatest idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment