10 September 2018

Teaching

I've spent a sessions with two beginners.
They are nice guys, 5 and 10 years younger than me and they needed some guidance to get the ball rolling.

I told them to buy a cheap, second hand longboard.
I told them when and where to go, or meet, and I waited patiently while they got ready.
I told them where to lay down on the board and how the small waves were acting, and about rules, localism and things to consider.
I told them when to go or when to save energy.
I told them about nose-diving and losing the wave due to lack of forward movement -or weight distribution- on the deck.
I told them about the wind and the tide, pointing out things.
I told them about general surfing condition in the area. About the coast-line and about good website for forecasts and webcams.
I told them a lot of things.
I could have just said "paddle harder!" and stop. It would have been ok as well.
But I'm a person who likes to understand and likes to explain things.

Then, just 10 minutes ago I was going over old pages of this blog and found things that I've forgotten; like understanding where to put my feet for carving, or my arms, or things like that. Things that nobody told me. Things over which I spent hours watching youtube videos to understand what people were doing. Things over which I spent hours in bed, thinking, visualising, dreaming..

I can't help but to think of how I missed someone who could really tell me stuff about places, wind, surfboard, the ocean, surf stories and general surf wisdom. And I still miss guidance.

I've been a good person with these 2 beginners. We had fun.
But I can't help being jealous of them as well.
It appeared like I'm an expert. But I'm the one who want a teacher!


Me on a winter day. I love that moment.


Questo weekend ho speso una sessione di piccole onde in compagnia di due beginners.
Una conoscenza frutto del caso, che ha portato alla richiesta di consigli per inziare a fare un po' piu' sul serio.

Cosi' ho consigliato loro, adulti, 5 e 10 anni piu' giovani di me, di procurarsi un longboard di seconda mano.
Ho detto loro quando e dove incontrarci, ed ho aspettato pazientemente che fossero pronti.
Ho detto loro dove sdraiarsi sulla tavola, e cosa stavano facendo le onde, e la direzione, e le regole, ed il localismo e cose simili.
Ho detto loro della marea e del vento.
Quando remare o lasciar perdere.
Del nose-diving e della distribuzione del peso per non far scappare l'onda da sotto i piedi.
Dei point e dei beach breaks, della costa, delle condizioni generali, dei siti di previsioni e webcam.
Ho detto loro un sacco di cose.
Avrei anche potuto dire semplicemente: "rema piu' forte" e nessuno si sarebbe lamentato.

Ma io sono uno a cui piace capire e piace anche spiegare.

Dieci minuti fa scorrevo alcune vecchie pagine di questo blog ed ho trovato me stesso far domande e considerazione alle quali nessuno ha mai risposto.
E mi son ricordato di quando passavo ore a guardare video su youtube per capire cosa facessero gli altri. Per capire cosa fare coi piedi, le braccia. Per capire semplicemente perche' le mie surfate non si evolvevano come quelle degli altri. E le notti ad immaginare e sognare onde, e i miei movimenti.

E quanto ho sempre sentito la mancanza di qualcuno che mi spiegasse le cose, i posti, le tavole, il vento, e mi raccontasse di onde e avventure passate.  
E ancora mi manca. Qualcuno che mi dica cosa sbaglio, o cose a cui non ho mai pensato.

Nelle mie limitate capacita' ho tentato di esser un bravo istruttore. E ci siamo divertiti.
Ma ora ne sono anche geloso.
Sembrava fossi un esperto. In realta' sono io che vorrei un mentore!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment