06 November 2017

GoPro - take 2

I've been using the Gopro since day one of my surfing journey with the specific idea of recording my journey.

I filmed hours and hours of my face, hundreds of wipe outs and bad or good rides.

There are days that are stuck in my mind and I like the fact that I can go and have a look at them.
It's not just to revive the stoke, but also to live again (in a way) those moments, the wait, the sun, the people. 
So, I'm happy I have those videos. 
They also helped me in my progression, as I could see my errors, my stance and such.

But lately the need/love/urge/satisfaction of taking them as faded.
And I'm sad because if I don't do it, then I don't have images of me in the water.

Anyway, there are two reasons why I'm not using it anymore:

1- I think I reached a level where, if I see me, I need to see me as I see the others. To compare and understand. And we all see the others with our own eyes, or through pics and videos that are made by someone watching the guys/girls in the water. No with a Gopro. I mean, it's a problem of perspective.
The little camera is stuck to the board and it turns with it. What it does is it kills the dynamic of surfing and it does not show you the wave in its entirety.

2- The distortion kills the proportions. No matter what wave you are on, it always looks small.

These problems are not to say the the action camera is a bad product or that it has defects. They are natural consequences of the product itself. There's nothing to fix. It's just that I need something different now.

By the way, check the pics below. It's hard to believe it;s exactly the same wave, uh?


Click to enlarge




Ho usato la Gopro sin dal primo giorno, con lo scopo preciso di registrare i miei progressi.
Posseggo ore di filmati con mio faccione, centinaia di wipe outs, cagate e anche belle cavalcate.

Mi piace il fatto di poter rivivere una bella giornata guardando quelle immagini. Spesso, quando le rispolvero, mi soffermo anche sulle attese. L'acqua calma, il paesaggio, il cielo.. ne sono contento.

L'action cam mi ha anche aiutato a progredire, potendo vedere i miei piedi, la posa, le curve, i rails, gli errori insomma.

Solamente da qualche tempo, a partire dal 2016, ho filmato sempre meno e ora non filmo piu'. Mi sono accorto di due problemi che mi impediscono di essere soddisfatto dei filmati:

1- Ho raggiunto un punto in cui ho bisogno non di vedermi i piedi, per dire, ma di vedermi come io vedo gli altri: sull'onda, dritto, inchinato, mentre curvo, mi muovo. Ho bisogno di vedere me e l'onda, intera. Capire la dinamica. Paragonarmi alle dinamiche degli altri. La Gopro e' connessa alla tavola e si muove insieme a lei. Uccide la dinamica, impedisce di vedere e capire l'onda.

2- (non fondamentale ma noioso) Con la sua distorsione rende qualsiasi onda una bazzecola. Il grandangolo uccide le dimensioni e il proprio ego.

Questi non sono problemi o difetti della telecamera. Sono caratteristiche della natura del prodotto. Non c'e' niente da aggiustare.
Solamente io ho bisogno di altro. E quindi a malincuore non la uso piu' (sapendo che nessuno mai mi fara' una cazzo di foto in acqua).

Per concludere, date una seconda occhiata alle foto sopra sapendo che si tratta della stessa persona, dello stesso attimo e della stassa onda. Capite la differenza di percezione?




No comments:

Post a Comment