19 May 2017

Storm Surfers - film review

After quite some time I go back to my personal surf film review.

While going through the endless (and not breathtaking) Neflix movies list, I ended up watching Storm Surfers, with Tom Carrol and Ross Clarke Jones as main surfers.

This is a surf movie that has been out for a while and I couldn’t be bothered watching on dvd. In fact, I consider surfing big, giant waves a sort of pointless occupation. 
Don’t get me wrong. 
I understand the rush of adrenaline that comes out of that, along with the immense satisfaction. I experience it when I surf what I consider big for me. And I also understand and –really- appreciate when humans push themselves to their limits. It’s a primordial call to the wild, in a way. And I believe that it’s thanks to this call that humanity progresses a step further, every now and them. Yes, surfing doesn’t give humanity any tangible and ‘useful’ results, but it’s the instinct at the base of human approach to obstacle that sometimes makes the difference for all of us.
This is to say that yes, I appreciate the effort, but I don’t get too enthusiastic about it. As I said, I find it pointless. 
By that I mean that for who’s watching it, riding a 30, 35 or 40 meters high wave doesn’t change a thing. Plus, and this is the whole point I wanted to get to, when the waves are that big, practically all they do is surfing at an angle and go for the dear life.
The conditions, or rules of engagement, are so that it’s almost impossible to do anything else rather than get out as fast as you can.
And this is where my mind does not enjoy it anymore. Watching someone going on a straight line doesn’t tell me anything. 
Wouldn’t be better to surf a ten meter smaller wave (but still big) and rip the shit out of it?

Ok. This is a personal opinion and it’s not even exactly on the film.
So, what I meant by all this is that I watched Storm Riders and I enjoyed the show.
But I will remember this movie only for two things:

-The old footage of Tom Carrol going vertical at Pipeline (and the ecstatic commentator – exactly my point);
-The comments throughout the movie about how Tom’s perception of danger has shifted over the years. How getting older and having kids added a new element to his approach to surfing.

I think what is disappointing about Storm Riders is that they didn’t take time to explore Tom’s new priorities, or fears, or whatever you wanna call them. 
Being a film about big waves I understand how that line of storytelling could have led to screwing the original project.  
But still, I feel a great sense of lost opportunities here. I would go and interview Tom myself, if I could, to explore how it all evolved.
Also, his mate Ross makes comments about it. Respectfully comments, yes, but with a touch of disappointment. An underline critic, that goes back to the historical macho approach to surfing, and surfing big waves. That culture of no fear whatsoever. That game of “chicken” that youngsters normally do,  still alive in the culture.  

I think there are great storytelling opportunities left unexplored.

I think Storm Riders is a good show that still lets you disappointed, like an article on a scientific magazine that doesn’t tell you anything new.  



This pic belongs to the Storm Surfers production




E’ tempo di fare una nuova recensione di surf movie.

Giorni fa, mentre scorrevo l’interminabile e non eclatante lista di film su Neflix, mi sono fermato su Storm Surfers. Un film di qualche anno fa e di cui non avevo mai preso il dvd per manacanza di interesse verso le onde giganti. Surfare onde enormi mi sembra infatti una occupazione che lascia il tempo che trova.

Non fraintendetemi. Apprezzo la preparazione che occorre, e le palle quadrate certamente strizzate dentro la muta. Apprezzo anche e soprattutto il fatto che e’ grazie a chi rischia tutto per cercare e superare il limite, che l’umanita’ va avanti. (Certo, il surf nella fatispecie non contribuisce granche’ al progresso in senso materiale, ma e’ ovvio che l’istinto di buttarsi sotto quaranta metri di acqua in zone inesplorate dell’oceano e’ lo stesso che spinge qualcuno a farsi sparare su un razzo per arrivare sulla luna.)
Ma nonostante questo, non vengo affascinato piu’ di tanto dal surfare onde giganti per due motivi:
-Visto sullo schermo, che una onda sia 30 o 35 metri non fa differenza;
-In quelle condizioni, i portatori di palle cubiche non possono che andare in diagonale e uscirne alla massima velocita’.   

E questo e’ l’aspetto piu’ noiso, Perche’, dal comodissimo divano di casa, vedi uno sopra un mostro si, ma che non sta facendo nessuna evoluzione, nessuna manovra, se non quella piu’ importante di salvarsi la vita.
Non sarebbe piu’ bello vedere qualcuno su una onda di “soli” venti metri, ad esempio, ma che la surfa e la gode sino al midollo?

Cosi’, e vengo al film, le avventure di Tom Carrol and Ross Clarke Jones sono un bello spettacolo che ricordero’ in futuro solo per due aspetti secondari:

-Le immagini di repertorio di Tom che va verticale durante una tappa del World Tour a Pipeline (e la voce del commentatore shockato – esattamente cio’ che dico: fare manovre, surfare realmente su onde della madonna, non importa di che misura);

-Le parole di Tom a proposito dell’invecchiare, dell’avere moglie e figli, del non surfare onde enormi se non ci sono le condizioni giuste, ambientali o mentali.

Il film tocca questo tema, bellissimo, umano, che riguarda tutti noi che invecchiamo ma non lo esplora a fondo.
Ovviamente avrebbe portato il progetto fuori strada, ma e’ un peccato lasciar passare cosi’ un tema universale come quello di capire che non si ‘e immortali, che altre priorita’ entrano in gioco nelle nostre vite col passare degli anni. Che non vuol dire rinunciare, ma evolvere.

Parallelamente, nel film, Ross commenta le scelte del suo amico. Con rispetto, ma anche un certo disappunto ed un filo di presa in giro. Un atteggiamento che si rifa’ al machismo classico della cultura surfistica. Quella sfida giovanile ed ignorante tra alpha males, che poi genera, o contribuisce a generare i problemi di convivenza tra le onde.  

Ecco, penso che ci vorrebbe un film sulle passate generazioni di surfisti ad alto livello, su come il loro surfare si e’ evoluto con l’eta’, sul contatto con le nuove generazioni, sull’arrivo possibilmente di una famiglia, sugli acciacchi che presto o tardi arrivano, sulla paura! Questo argomento tabu da esorcizzare, che nel mondo del surf non e’ possibile nominare.

Per quanto riguarda Storm Surfers, a mio giudizio delude come un buon articolo di una rivista scientifica che pero’ non ti dice niente di nuovo.



No comments:

Post a Comment