15 November 2023

One wave#4

It's a small, knee high max, but nice and clean wave.

The forecast didn't give me much hope but I'm here anyway. Very few people are in the water. Beginners mostly, and beggars like me. 

I have my longer, newer board with me. Slightly flatter that the one I've been using for years.

I catch the wave easily. I jump up going right, as usual, but there's no much there yet. I turn left with a nice arch, get into the white water, and turn immediately right again. Now a nice, clean wall is building up for me. I take two steps forward. I'm close, but not on the nose. I consider making two more small steps to hang five. But I'm not confident. While I do it, the moment is gone. I'm near the flat shoulder of the wave. I step back, shifting my feet. Not great, but whatever. Turn left. Here the wave is still alive. I go up and down once. I can see the water rising up in front of me. I step forward again. Not on the nose, as before. I'm disappointed and exited at the same time. The wave crushes below my feet. The ride is over. I jump in the water.

The sun is high and I'm having fun. Slowly, slowly improving.

I paddle back to the empty line up. Give me the next one! 


(an old frame)


E' piccola, massimo al ginocchio, ma pulita.

E' una giornata in teoria da evitare, ma sono in acqua lo stesso. Accanto a me solo principianti e qualche disperato come me.

Ho con me la tavola piu' nuova, leggermente piu' lunga e piatta dell'altra che uso da anni.

Prendo l'onda con facilita' e vado subito a destra, come normale in questo point break.

Ma l'onda si ammoscia e rischio di fermarmi. Giro a sinistra con un bell'arco. Riprendo un poco di velocita' e raggiungo la schiuma, la uso per girare e punto nuovamente a destra. Ora la faccia dell'onda viene su bene, davanti a me. Faccio due passi incrociati. Sono sul muso si ma mi mancano ancora trenta centimetri. Considero altri passi minuscoli per fare un hang five col piede destro, ma mentre valuto il momento buono e' passato. L'onda si ammoscia di nuovo. Torno indietro coi piedi, senza incrociarli. Non bello, ma mi viene cosi', sara' la paura di sbagliare. Rigiro a sinistra. L'onda, di qua, e' viva. Ci vado su e giu' una volta, poi vedo che si inarca. Manca poco. Ci sparo altri due passi e torno nuovamente sul muso, ma come prima mi manca l'ultimo pezzetto. Sono contrariato e gasato allo stesso tempo.

L'onda crolla sotto di me. La corsa e' finita. Salto in acqua.

Il sole splende a mi sto divertendo. Miglioro, piano piano, molto piano, ma miglioro.

Remo per tornare al punto di partenza. Dammene un'altra!  

No comments:

Post a Comment