21 December 2022

The Dickhead

Summer. Sunday morning. School holidays. 6 days to Christmas. 

Beaches are packet. The water is beautiful and hundreds of people float on all sort of surfboard waiting for waves.

The surf is small and lazy, with the odd shoulder-high set every now and then.

People are relaxed. They chat in little groups. Two, three or four surfers paddle for each wave. Most of the time they can't catch them, someone falls, and rarely 2 persons share one wave with no drama.

All is good, a nice morning of fun on a busy summer day is unfolding.

Until the dickhead arrives.

I first hear him (because of course is a guy) shouting while surfing. We are 4 on a wave and I'm counting on the others to just fall off. But someone is shouting. It's not even the classic Australian "oi", so I'm not even sure of what's happening but whatever, I bail and go about my business.

Some time later a couple of nice waves arrive. I catch one and when I start to paddle back I see one guy and a girl on the next one. The guy has priority, but the girl is 5m far from him and a section is closing the guy's path. I can tell from his posture that he's not good and he won't be able to surf arond the white water. Nevertheless, he has been screaming something all the while. Instead of surfing, he's just hanging on the wave and screaming to others. The scene is pathetic.

The girl bail and he fall off 2 seconds later, as predicted.

I can't believe it.

I watch him paddling back and he has the arrogance to lecture the girl, who, by the way, is a better surfer. They argue a bit. The girl moves away from him while he then makes further comments to his mate. 

At this point, I'm a couple of meters from him and he cross eyes with me. I'm disgusted and I can't resist.

So I tell him: "What are you doing? Don't shout at people. It's a busy day and you are the only one shouting. Stop that".

"Yes, but that was my wave man. People have to learn" (or something like that) he replies.

"Man, look around. We are 200 people here. It's Sunday morning, it's busy, people are having fun, nobody is arguing with anyone, and you are the one shouting for these silly little wave. Just stop it."

"Yea, I know, it's busy, but when you paddle first and you see the others going for your wave... "

At this point a wave is coming and he has the chance to cut short the exchange.

He goes and I stay there. I look at the girl who is looking at me. She's a bit far so I can't talk to her, but I hope she knows I'm on her side.

After that the guy goes further out and I can see him sitting and staring at his board for a while. For the next 30 mins I don't see him catching waves and I'd like to think he's reviewing his behavior.

There's a small chance that I ruined his day. And if that's the case, then I'm happy.


(Btw, before all of this a beautiful girl looked at me and said: "that was a nice one" smiling. Now, it's easy to appear good if everyone is at beginner level, but what can I say: she made my day!)


Random pic from the web


Estate. Domenica mattina. Vacanze scolastiche. 6 giorni al natale.

Le spiaggie sono piene. L'acqua e' calda e trasparente e centinaia di persone galleggiano su ogni tipo di tavola aspettando le onde.

Le onde sono piccole e solo ogni tanto ne arrivano alcune ad altezza spalla.

La gente e' rilassata. Parla in piccoli gruppi. E quando arriva qualcosa almeno 3, 4 o 5 persone partono contemporaneamente. La maggior parte non riesce neanche a prenderle, molti cadono, e dopo pochi secondi solo uno o due persone stanno effettivamente surfando. Ma non c'e' tensione.

E' una bella giornata e' sembrano tutti rilassati.

Finche' arriva la testa di cazzo.

Lo sento (perche' ovviamente e' un maschio) mentre sono su un onda con altre persone alla mia destra e sinistra. Sto aspettando che cadano ma qualcuno urla qualcosa. Non e' neanche il classico "oi" australiano che ho imparato ad interpretare chiaramente.

Nel dubbio mi fermo e mi allontano per prendere la prossima onda.

Solo qualche tempo dopo, dopo averne preso una, mi giro e vedo sulla successiva un uomo ed una ragazza. Lui ha la precedenza, ma lei e' lontana e l'onda si sta chiudendo nel mezzo, interropendo la corsa dell'uomo. Cio nonostante lui urla come un cretino che vuole strada. Invece di surfare, e' tutto storto per non cadere e pensa alla ragazza piu' avanti.

Lei si ferma, ma l'onda si chiude e lui non e' ovviamente in grado di surfare oltre la schiuma per recuperare la parete dove avrebbe potuto esserci la ragazza. La scena e' patetica, ma non e' finita.

Mentre entrambi remano via lui ha il coraggio di farle la ramanzina, e lei ovviamente lo sfancula molto presto.

Lui scambia due parole con un amico e si capisce dall'atteggiamento che pensa di essere la ad educare tutti.

Io che ho guardato tutta la scena mi ritrovo a due passi da questo coglione e incrociamo lo sguardo. Lui ha il sorriso e scuote la testa. Ed io allora non resisto.

Gli dico: "Ma che stai facendo? Non urlare contro le pesone. Siamo in 300 e tu sei l'unico che urla e si lamenta. Falla finita."

"Si ma quella era la mia onda amico. La gente deve imparare" mi risponde. O qualcosa del genere.

Io insisto, educatamente:

"Guardati intorno. E' domenica. Siamo in 300. La gente si sta divertendo, nessuno si lamenta, e tu urli per una ondina da due soldi. Lascia perdere."

Lui insiste:

"Si, vabbe', condividiamo, ma se parto prima e quelli mi vedono e vanno lo stesso.."  

In quel momento arriva un altro set di onde decenti e ne aprofitta per allontanarsi.

Io non mi muovo. Incrocio lo sguardo col la ragazza, che e' lontana, e spero che abbia intuito il nostro scambio.

Dopodiche' il tipo ripassa remando e si allontana via, piu' avanti possibile. In teoria prima di tutti, in pole position, ma anche in una posizione in cui oggi e' raro arrivi qualcosa per il fondale cosi' profondo.

Lo vedo sostanzialmente fermo e per almeno 30 minuti, e sinche' vado via, non combina piu' niente.

C'e' una piccola possibilita' che stia ripensando al nostro scambio ed alla figura da idiota che ha fatto. C'e' una piccola possibilita' che io gli abbia rovinato la giornata. 

E ne sono contento.

No comments:

Post a Comment