11 October 2018

Americans.. or Americans! or Self-doubt

I don't know what to think of it.

This guy created -and is now selling- a foam board for paddling in a swimming pool. 
He says tha paddling in this way is better than just swimming and that your wave count will increase.

Now, I believe that paddling that way is effective, even though I'm not able to quantify it and provide meaningful measures against swimming.
And here's the thing: I've been doing the same thing since 2015, when I had to recover from surgery. I spent $20 on a bodydoard and asked permission at my local swimming pool.
Here's a video I took.

Also, at this link on fb, you can see people in Milan using finless shortboards in the same way. They have been doing it for some time as well.

Now what puzzles me is: it never occurred to me (and I bet to those guys in Milan) that I could make something that already exist and try to sell it to make money.
(Actually, $400 sounds like too much to really get a big market, but that's beside the point).
And I get a weird self-judgment feeling from this fact.
Am I stupid?
Did I miss on a chance to make money (at least, potentially) and/or create a small business?
Or it's just that Americans can't stop thinking about money?
(This is a big generalisation/stereotyping/judgmental sentence, I know).

Is the truth in the middle?



My own surfinshape board: 20$
La mia versione da 20 dollari


Sono perlesso.

Ho appena scoperto questo tipo che ha creato una tavoletta per praticare le remate in piscina.
Sostiene che sia meglio del nuotare e che i benefici tra le onde sono garantiti.

In realta' so gia' che funziona perche' lo faccio dal 2015, da quando ho dovuto fare riabilitazione ad una spalla a seguito di un intervento chirurgico. Il fisioterapista mi disse che, oltre alla solita roba, se volevo ritrovare la forza per remare l'unico modo era remare! Cosi' comprai una bodyboard da 20 dollari e chiesi il permesso alla piscina locale.
Ma non sono in grado di darvi cifre e studi comparativi col nuoto. Semplicemente mi ci trovo bene, specie per la fatica al collo.
Questo e' un mio filmatino.

Inoltre, a Milano, c'e' gente che fa la stessa cosa con delle tavolette.

Insomma, cio' che mi lascia di stucco e' il fatto che questo tipo si sia messo a produrre una roba superflua e che tenti di venderla a US$400!

Certo, non credo che questo possa andare lontano con quel prezzo. Ma e' il concetto, l'approccio che mi crea dubbi.

Sono forse un fesso a non averci pensato?
Mi sono fatto scappare una occasione per fare qualche soldo, vendendo una tavola o un metodo?
O sono gli americani ad essere incorregibili a tentare di far soldi con ogni cazzata?

La verita' sta nel mezzo?



No comments:

Post a Comment